At Aurora Bay this morning, unfortunately the Redhead raft was NOT present, nor
could I see any sign of it from Long Pt State Park looking south and across the
lake. At Union Springs, the Factory Street pond hosted several Redhead and
Gadwall pairs, as well as Mallards. The famous Screechie was soaking up the sun
in the entrance of his box.

For you lake-ice-watchers, the ice has retreated to just south of Union Springs
(several miles north of its level last Monday). From Union Springs I could see
hundreds of Tundra Swans roosting on the southernmost ice, way out in the
middle of the lake, possibly closer to the west shore. There were also
scattered Tundra Swans along the east shore of the lake, notably visible from
Lake Road.

I have a question for the those who took part in the recent waterfowl count:
has anyone estimated the size of the Aythya raft? Or was that not in the count
area at the time? The latest number I see is from the Christmas Bird Count at
940 birds, but that was a while ago and there are more birds now. I am being
asked on Facebook how many that raft contains. (If all else fails I guess I
will have to count them in my photo!)

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road