I spent a couple hours early this afternoon birding in the Dryden (NY) area.

While driving down Cornell Lane (Harford), I was accompanied by a RED-TAILD
HAWK coasting about 30' over a white, featureless field with its legs down
like an airliner approaching a runway.  It never landed, but flew off.  This
is supposed to be a courtship display, although I saw no other hawk; but
then they have better eyes than I do.

Manure spreads along this same road had 100+ SNOW BUNTINGS mixed with 30+
HORNED LARKS.  I saw 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR immediately, but could find no
others, or even refind this one, in 45 minutes.  Viewing is brutal: some of
the flock flew often, landing behind a hill, far away, in amongst deep
tractor ruts.  While waiting for the flock to present itself, I was able to
watch a variety of other birdlife incl. AMER. CROWS, PIGEONS, STARLINGS,
CANADA GEESE, and MALLARDS.

I walked a segment of the Dryden Lake Trail (north of Willow Crossing) and
came upon a flock of 12 AMERICAN ROBINS and another of 4 E. BLUEBIRDS. The
bluebirds were in sumac bushes, but I could not determine what the robins
were about.  Maybe just hangin' out.  Also there was one wild WHITE-THROATED
SPARROW.

Dryden Lake held 6 MALLARDS (3 pair), and an extremely compact GREAT BLUE
HERON.

I flushed 12 SNOW BUNTINGS from a ditch on Ferguson Rd.

Finally, I drove up Tehan and Signal Tower.  It's a different world up
there.  About an inch of recent snow covered every branch.  It was as if I
was driving through the inside of a spider web.  At the end of the road, ice
had just been deposited on the tamaracks, and all was silent but for the
ghostly creaking in the wind.

Steve Fast

Brooktondale