The latest I have heard is that the snow on the roads/tracks can be quite
bad.

This was the last report from the Kingston area:

There are lots of Common Redpolls about; the largest flocks reported were 60
at the Queen's Biological Station with a Hornemann's Hoary as well, and 135
at Bedford Mills also containing one or two Hoaries. Pine Siskins have
almost gone with only one mentioned this week. Bohemian Waxwings are still
around in good numbers, 15 at Charleston Lake P.P. last Friday, 50 near
Camden East on Saturday feeding on Buckthorn berries and another 14 at QUBS
on Thursday.
Bald Eagles are still plentiful; 2 at the Dupont lagoon, 5 at QUBS with an
immature Golden, all reported on Wednesday and another Bald Eagle at
Charleston Lake P.P. on Thursday. Two Peregrines were roosting on Botterel
Hall on the Queen's campus on Tuesday and another (could be one of the two)
zipped over the Kingston harbour on Wednesday. There is a Barred Owl at QUBS
and Amherst Island had a Snowy, a N. Hawk and 3 Short-eared Owls. Snow
conditions on Amherst are not favourable; the Owl Woods Road is heavily
drifted in and the rest of the island has very high snowbanks. If it is
windy at all this makes for some very trying birding. All the N. Harriers
seem to have left and the number of Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawks is way
down from earlier in the winter.
The Amherst ferry channel was devoid of gulls and waterfowl on Wednesday and
the south shore of Amherst, although open, yielded nothing but Common
Goldeneye. A few Mute Swans have been added to the mix at the Dupont lagoon
and there were 14 Trumpeters at Chaffey's Lock on Wednesday.
There was a N. Shrike near Yarker last Saturday, and I've had two sightings
of Am. Robins noted this week; a half dozen in Bayridge on Saturday and a
singleton near Inverary yesterday. A few other birds that are always hard to
find in mid-winter include a Red-winged Blackbird on Amherst, 2 Rusty
Blackbirds near Elginburg and a pair of Golden-crowned Kinglets at
Charleston Lake P.P.
Cheers,
Peter Good
Kingston Field Naturalists