Went to Montezuma Wetlands Complex today via the west side
of Cayuga Lake. There were quite a few BUFFLEHEAD all the way
up the lake visible from Rte. 89. Lower Lake Road continues to
have decent numbers of Aythyla species but numbers seems to
be down some from a couple weeks ago. Also I saw no
CANVASBACKs today here which was unlike a couple weeks
ago when this specie was very common.  SCAUP (both lesser and
greater) and REDHEAD were the most common with decent numbers
of RING-NECKED DUCKS. I also picked out one HORNED
GREBE and several AMERICAN WIGEON at this stop. I also
saw a distant small group of ducks that looked like scoters
but it was too far for me to be sure.

Next stop was the Montezuma Visitor's Center and the highlight
for me was the COMMON (EURASIAN) TEAL of which
others have seen recently (see Jay's post below).  This is
the first time I have ever had this sub-species (or species??) and the bird
was distinctively different than the numerous GREEN-WINGED
TEALS. It lacked the vertical stripe on the sides and had a thin
white horizontal line along its back. It also had a more distinct brown/orange
stripe on its face. I got a couple digiscoped images of which you can
see here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/5583621842/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/5583034745/

Also at the visitor's center pond were numerous NORTHERN SHOVELERS,
GADWALL, a few NORTHERN PINTAIL, and TRUMPETER SWAN.

Along route 20 near the refuge I had 2 OSPREY flying around low above
last year's nests.

Next stop was East Road. I was there around 1 pm so I believe I preceded
Jay's group. It is interesting that I had NO TREE SWALLOWS here
which was surprising to me. I did eventually see some but along Route 90
near Aurora. I did have the same SNOW GEESE here, along with
RING-NECKED DUCKS, CANVASBACK, REDHEAD, SCAUP
sp (male and female) and a small raft of around 10 RUDDY DUCKS
including a couple beautiful males. There were also BLACK DUCK,
MALLARDS, and 2 DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANTs. I had
two flyover HORNED LARKS and one singing one. There was one
GREAT BLUE HERON and numerous gull sp.  in the distance.

Next stop was the MAC and I did find the EURASIAN WIGEON
that Jay, Gary and Dave Spier posted on below. This was a very
beautiful bird and I was fortunate to get one decent image among
the many that I took. See below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/5583622488/

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY