Had the pleasure of leading the SFO "local" group this
morning. All of us had no strict time constraints so
we decided to head up the east side of Cayuga Lake so
it really was not that "local" after all!

We didn't plan on it but we made it all the way up to
Montezuma since the birding was great. Light south
winds bringing migrants north,  and great viewing on
Cayuga Lake made for such an action-packed day.
I can't wait to see what the other SFO groups come
up with!

On the way up and back, we got great views
of both OSPREY nests seen from Route 89
near Union Springs.  We also saw a RING-NECKED
PHEASANT on the way up as well.

Our first stop was Mud Lock and the BALD EAGLE
was sitting on the nest with nice views.  We also had a
nice, fairly close up view of a  COMMON LOON in
breeding plumage. There was a distant group of REDHEAD,
SCAUP sp., 1 RING NECKED DUCK, BUFFLEHEADS,
and RUDDY DUCKS. We heard an EASTERN PHEOBE,
heard and briefly saw a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and a
flyover BELTED KINGFISHER. A couple small flocks of
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS flew by
as well. Great start.

Since we were so close, we decided to stop
at the Montezuma NWR visitor's center
and we were not disappointed. There was a
waterfowl bonanza there with close-up views
of many species. Great for studying
field marks. We had many NORTHERN SHOVELERS,
NORTHERN PINTAIL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL,
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, several AMERICAN WIGEON,
and 1 GADWALL. There were 4 PURPLE MARTINS
by the martin homes and several TREE SWALLOWS
floating around. A SWAMP SPARROW was
singing in the marsh. We had two OSPREY and TVs
soaring overhead and a female NORTHERN HARRIER
coursing low over the marsh.

On the way back, we stopped at the Factory Street Pond
but we did not see "screechie" today in his box. It was
still cold and fairly cloudy so maybe he/she was hiding?
Not much else at this pond. Next stop was the
Aurora boathouse on Aurora Bay. We had a nice
HORNED GREBE in breeding plumage, many
BUFFLEHEAD, a distant COMMON LOON
and distant LONG-TAILED DUCKS.
There were also many RING-BILLED GULLS
and a few HERRING. We also had a fly-by
BARN SWALLOW at Aurora bay.

Next stop was Lake Road near Long Point and
we got great views of a singing EASTERN
MEADOWLARK. What a treat.

At the Ithaca Airport we had nice views
of both a RED-TAILED HAWK and
an AMERICAN KESTREL.

Back at the Lab I am learning that the
best place to go over your list is
by the feeders. We added COMMON
REDPOLL, AMERICAN TREE SPARROW
(still many!), WHITE-THROATED SPARROW,
and HOUSE FINCH while adding up our
species totals.

For just 4 1/2 hours of birding, we totaled
56 species.  Not bad. More importantly we
got great views of many of our beautiful
watefowl and migrants.

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY