I lead an enthusiastic group of nine (or was it ten - or eleven - people kept jumping in) up and around the lake today. Because I'm tired and am going to do it all over again tomorrow, all I am going to do here is list the highlights.

Myers Point: three Belted Kingfishers in aerial combat over the creek; two Barn Swallows in a group of some 20 Tree Swallows.

Lake Road below Lake Ridge Winery: Savannah Sparrow, flew across the road and perched up, singing.

Aurora Bay; distant looks at 5 Horned Grebes and 4 Long-tailed Ducks; Tree Swallows and a single Barn Swallow.

Mill Pond, Union Springs: Blue-winged Teal and Wood Duck - both difficult to spot on the far shore.

MNWR Visitor's Center: Common Teal (missed Purple Martens).

Wildlife Drive: 2 Dunlins and Greater Yellowlegs in new shorebird area.

Tschache pool: Mute Swan (missed Lesser Black-backed Gull).

Mays Point Pool: numerous Ruddy Ducks, Pied-billed Grebe, Redhead (only one for the trip).

MAC: Eurasian Wigeon (north pool, seen from the wooden overlook structure); 9 Trumpeter Swans in pond on east side of Rt 89.

Marten's Tract: flushed a Wilson's Snipe (no bittern or rail - or crane).

Railroad Road: calling American Bittern (no rail).

On the way home we drove through the Empire Farm Days grounds to look for Upland Sandpipers - nothing; did have a few Horned Larks.

Our last stop was the Creamery which was packed at 4 PM.

Bob McGuire