The sound end of the lake was cold this morning but with a few interesting
birds.  Three male NORTHERN SHOVELERS were swimming in one of the lagoon
across Fall Creek from the boat house.  Three COMMON TERNS were flying up
the west side of the lake, viewed from East Shore Park.  Quite a few PALM
WARBLERS are still around the swan pen, singing and giving chip notes.  A
few diving ducks are still around, including Lesser Scaup, Redhead, and
Bufflehead, and six small dark ducks (presumably Green-winged Teal) came
bombing in over Stewart Park from offshore.  Five or more COMMON LOONS were
out on the lake, including one in full basic plumage.  I saw Barn, Tree,
Bank, and Northern Rough-winged Swallows, but I would not be surprised if
all six species were present.  Finally, I scanned the Treman shore and the
jetties but saw no sign of last night's Willet.

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library