SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER - 2
LEAST SANDPIPER - several

The shorebirds did not seem perturbed by a small group of quiet observers on the road nor by 3 OSPREYS on the mud.  An immature BALD EAGLE was more distant.  Waterfowl included several families of CANADA GEESE, several male MALLARDS, some starting to molt, and briefly a male BLUE-WINGED TEAL.

Begin forwarded message:Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 12:50:19 -0400
From: "Doug Daniels" <doug...@rochester.rr.com>
To: "'Genesee Birds'" <geneseebird...@geneseo.edu>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] MNWR - 8 species of shorebird, incl. 2
Whimbrel

The phrase "dumb luck" has been used a lot on this listserve. It certainly
applied to my experiences today.

First, at 8 am, I was at Railroad Ave, near Van Dyne Spoor hoping to locate
rails & bittern. In the 45 minutes I was there, 5 long trains passed,
taking up about half of that time with noisy clatter I did hear one
American Bittern.

Second, the good luck at the new shorebird area along the Dike Road, Main
Pool area of Montezuma, I had 8 species of shorebirds, from 9:45 until 11:00
am:

5 Black-bellied Plover - 3 adult in breeding plumage, 2 imm.

2 Whimbrel

10 Semi-palmated Plovers

2 Dunlin

5 Killdeer

9 Least Sandpipers

2 Semi-palmated Sandpipers

1 Solitary Sandpiper

As I was scoping the Whimbrel, a van of environmental tech. students exited
enmass to see what I was looking at. Some of the shorebirds flew. Next,
the many Bald Eagles in the area, flew over causing the 2 Whimbrel to fly,
They did, hover, after circling twice, land again nearby. 5 minutes later,
another Bald Eagle caused them to fly. This time, to the NE and I did not
see them return. By the time I left, only a few Least Sandpipers and
Killdeer were left

Also seen on the day was 1 Yellow-bellied Flycatcher at the Tshchache Tower,
2 Trumpeter Swans at the wet area off Savannah Springs Rd.

Doug Daniels