Hi Bob,

I have lived with Mulberries (both red and white varieties) in my yard at
several points in my life and never seen anything like this. I have often
eaten them myself. I have seen birds eating Mulberries to no ill effect,
and I have seen birds intoxicated from Mulberries,  as well as Cherries
that have fallen and fermented.

I do wonder whether the roots of this tree have tapped into something
toxic/lethal to birds,  but not toxic to plants,  and that it has been
passed to the fruit. Is it possible that there was any kind of dumping in
the area before your friend lived there?

While I know this statement will seem obvious, I'm going to say it anyway,
 no one should be eating berries from those particular trees unless the
fruit has been tested for toxic chemicals etc...

Bill
Baker