Livia and I checked Stewart Park at lunch today. Although it was raining
steadily, the lake was very calm and ducks were easy to see around the weed
mats towards the east end of the park. We didn't find anything that hasn't
been around for a while, but did see the continuing male GREATER SCAUP, 2
female RING-NECKED DUCKS, female RUDDY DUCK, 3 AMERICAN WIGEON, Hooded
Merganser, AMERICAN COOT, at least 5 Pied-billed Grebes, multiple American
Black Ducks, and tons of Mallards.  A MERLIN was perched on the dead tree on
the swan pen island, an adult BALD EAGLE was in a small dead snag along the
shore of the swan pen, and an immature BALD EAGLE flew by out of jetty
woods.

The most notable sighting, however, was the fact that the famous large snag
across the channel from the boat house (the
cormorant/osprey/eagle/Merlin/Peregrine tree) is GONE. I haven't been to
Stewart Park for a few days, so I don't know when this happened, and I also
couldn't tell WHAT exactly happened. It looks like it might be broken at the
base, so perhaps it finally fell over from natural causes and was cleared
away to keep the channel open. I would be interested to know if anyone has
more information about this. In any case, I consider this a huge loss to the
birding community. It will be missed.

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library