Gary Chapin and I birded Montezuma for half a day today and we had a
number of nice birds.  We did not have any species that have not been
reported in recent days or weeks, but if you would like to hear the
details, then feel free to read on.

We started at the Visitor's
Center at 7:30am where we spent an hour watching the massive morning
flight of icterids and waterfowl.  There were at least 10,000 Red-winged
 Blackbirds, Grackles and Starlings lifting out of the marsh as we
arrived, and this was a loud and impressive sight.  Six (6) NORTHERN
HARRIERS were swirling amongst the blackbirds making for an exciting
show.  We had continuous flocks of Canada Geese flying south over the
refuge, as well as geese lifting off of the Main Pool also heading
south.  Highlights in these geese flocks were a single GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, CACKLING GOOSE and one of two hybrid SNOW X CANADA
GEESE that we saw today.  Hundreds of geese landed in the Visitor Center
 impoundment, however the three geese of interest continued south out of
 the refuge.  Two COMMON LOONS flew over heading south, and we scoped
three BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS in Larues.

>From here we headed north
to Martens Track where we located at least four (4) NELSON'S SPARROWS.
This is a conservative estimate since this was the high count that we
had in view simultaneously.  I posted a NELSON'S SPARROW photo at my
Flickr site at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brad_carlson/  We had one
male RING-NECKED PHEASANT here and four (4) SANDHILL CRANES flew over
heading south.  Gary had an AMERICAN TREE SPARROW on the road just
before the parking lot, while I was photographing the Nelson's
Sparrows.  A few AMERICAN PIPITS flew overhead here, and we had a couple
 overhead at most stops throughout the day.

There were seven (7) TRUMPETER SWANS (4 adult and 3 immature) on the north side
of Savannah Spring Lake Road east of Rt. 89.

At
 Puddler's Marsh we had the continuing AMERICAN AVOCET, along with three
 DUNLIN, and a handful of GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS.  One BALD EAGLE
 and a couple of dozen TREE SWALLOWS were flying overhead.

We
only spent a few minutes at May's Point Pool where we had our second
SNOW X CANADA GOOSE hybrid of the day.  This goose had much less white
on the front and underside of it than the one we observed flying over
the Visitor's Center in the early morning.  One LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER
and numerous YELLOWLEGS were foraging amongst the waterfowl.  There was
one BALD EAGLE perched here, as well as another overhead.

We left
 Mays Point after a few minutes because we heard that a Hudsonian Godwit
 had arrived at the Visitors Center.  We headed over to the Visitor
Center, and were able to relocate the HUDSONIAN GODWIT foraging in the
center of impoundment.  We also relocated what we presume was the first
SNOW X CANADA GOOSE hybrid that we originally saw fly over in the
morning.  The hybrid  goose was resting with thousands of Canada Geese
in the impoundment.  This hybrid had a white head, neck breast and
belly, and a mantle with similar plumage as a Canada Goose.

All in all, a beautiful Fall day to be out in the field.

Regards,
-Brad Carlson
Honeoye Falls, NY
bradcarls...@hotmail.com