I had a great morning at Myers Point, though I was disappointed that no one
else showed up to enjoy the spectacle with me. The highlight was an
incredible 2865 BRANT moving south in flocks of anywhere from 15 to over
600, starting a few minutes after I got there at 7:50 and continuing
(although somewhat less frequent) to right when I left at 10:15. Other good
birds included the 14 BLACK SCOTERS I posted before, four WHITE-WINGED
SCOTERS, hundreds of NORTHERN PINTAIL with lower numbers of AMERICAN WIGEON,
AMERICAN BLACK DUCK, and GREEN-WINGED TEAL mixed in, a female LONG-TAILED
DUCK flying north, a flock of HORNED GREBES flying north, a RED-THROATED
LOON on the lake, at least 37 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, including seven on the
spit when I left, a juvenile BONAPARTE'S GULL on the spit, and a loose flock
of shorebirds moving north that included at least one WHITE-RUMPED
SANDPIPER, one SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, and two DUNLIN.  Complete checklist
below.

Myers Point, Tompkins, US-NY
Oct 27, 2011 7:50 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Lakewatch from spit and for a while from the lighthouse. Huge
numbers of Brant moving down the lake, and lots of dabbling ducks a little
higher up. Moderately strong north winds and light rain.
38 species

Brant (Branta bernicla)  2865     Huge numbers moving south over the lake a
little over ridge-line. Sometimes with cormorants or a few ducks (often
pintail) mixed in. Groups of: 17, 40, 48, 56, 68, 68, 110, 123, 160, 160,
170, 200, 415, 580, 650. Flocks were fairly well spaced over the time I was
there, and more were still arriving (a little slower than earlier) when I
left at 10:15.
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  35     Incredibly few migrating, only two
small flocks
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  1     Moving south with Brant flock
Gadwall (Anas strepera)  2     Alone, moving south
American Wigeon (Anas americana)  25     Mixed in with pintail and black
duck flocks, one or two small groups alone. Moving south.
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  97     Groups of 10-20, often with many
pintail, moving south.
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  40     Several flocks of ~10 moving south,
some around on the lake.
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta)  241     Groups of 2, 3, 5, 11, 30, 90, and
100, often with wigeon and black ducks.
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca)  48     Group of ~35 (probable) flying low
over water headed south, trailed by White-winged Scoters, then group of 6
followed by 7 an hour later, also low over lake. None seen mixed in with
higher dabbling flocks.
White-winged Scoter (Melanitta fusca)  4     Flock moving south, 3 females
and 1 immature male. Another similar flock seen later moving north, then
turning and following a flock of Green-winged Teal south, assume same birds.
Black Scoter (Melanitta americana)  14     Flock moving south, apparently
all males except for the last bird which was a female. Good looks.
Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis)  1     Female flying north up the lake
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)  6     Flying south over east shore
Red-throated Loon (Gavia stellata)  1     Juvenile on water to west.
Common Loon (Gavia immer)  3
Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus)  14     Extremely tight flock of 12 moving
north low over lake, then two birds close to lighthouse.
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  320     Many moderately
sized (10-40) flocks moving south. One group of ~200 mixed in with flock of
500+ Brant.
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  2     One in creek, one flying north
along east shore
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  20     Over west ridge
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  1     Adult, flew over spit heading
north
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)  37     Flock of 23 circled point
several times, then flock of 30 (have to assume the same birds but could
easily have been all different ones) did the same an hour later. Then a
group of 7 landed on the spit and remained until I left at 10:15.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla)  1     At least one with loose
group of large peeps heading north
White-rumped Sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis)  1     At least one with loose
group of large peeps heading north
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  2     Flying north relatively high with several
straggling peeps
Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philadelphia)  1     Immature on spit
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  15
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  5
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  15
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  5
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  25
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  10
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  1

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library