Thanks Steve! What would I do without you??

Your reply reminded me that, in addition to all of the loons, scoters, grebes, and gulls at Aurora, I also had one DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT.

Bob
On Nov 15, 2011, at 8:06 PM, Susan Fast wrote:

Re: loons

On Oct. 23 of last year, just north of Long Point State Park, I happened
upon a large group of loons actively diving.  Ring-billed gulls and
cormorants were also present. I counted 110 loons. Shortly after this the diving activity ceased, and the loons rested at the surface. I counted 360 loons at that time. Doing some crude calculations, I figure Bob had about
500 loons at Aurora today.

S. Fast
Brooktondale

-----Original Message-----
From: bounce-38272036-9286...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-38272036-9286...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of bob mcguire
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:43 PM
To: cayugabirdlist
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Aurora Birds

I made a quick run up to Aurora over lunch today. The water was flat,
no shimmer, and all the birds on the water were readily visible. In
addition to a flock of Ring-billed Gulls and 2 Great Black-backed
Gulls, I noted 171 Common Loons. I am sure that there were more. They
were spread out across the lake and actively diving. Also: 1 RED-
NECKED GREBE, 1 Horned Grebe, 6 SURF SCOTERS, 6 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS,
2 LONG-TAILED DUCKS.

And on the way up, at Myers: 74 Common Loons, 1 RED THROATED LOON, 3
SURF SCOTERS.

Bob McGuire