I just returned from a long walk on the eastern portion of the east Ithaca Recreation Way. As I reached my half-way point at Judd Falls Road I heard the four-note call of a Northern Saw-whet Owl repeated several times. I returned to my cay and drove back to Maple Ave, parking in the pull-off where the Rec Way joins Maple Ave (near the water tower). This was about 30 minutes later. I got out and played a series of toots on my penny whistle and the owl answered - once from about 50 feet away (from atop one of the horse enclosures), and then flew over, tooting four notes again. It was headed into the cemetery and did not respond any more.

Bob McGuire