In case not everyone on the CNY listserve knows, there are two Snowy Owls being
seen for several days at the Syracuse Airport.

I, and others, had two Snowy Owls late today, around 4 pm, at Hancock
International Airport. Both were seen on the north side of Corregidor Road.
Many thanks to Paul Richardson for picking one up and setting up his scope.
One very white and one heavily streaked. My guess would be an adult male and an
immature female, but that is purely an uneducated, looking at the book, guess.
Feel free to correct me.
Both were on the ground, then flew about in the construction area.

After entering the main airport entrance road, take a left (heading north) on
Constellation Way North. I think this was at the corner with the state police
station.
Constellation Way North will go around a bend, pass the north side of the
control tower and then head east turning into Corregidor Road. (Just drive
toward the terminal)
Corregidor Road has a small drop off area at the north end of the terminal,
then loops around an unused parking area.  On the north side of this loop
looking out over a field which backs up to houses was where the owls were this
afternoon.

On one my several drive throughs around the airport, security came out to talk
to me, but they were very nice when I explained about the Snowies.

Another place to try looking from, although it wasn't fruitful today, is the
passenger observation area off the South Service Road.
It's a nice spot to be able to pull into a spot to scan the lightposts on the
south side of the entrance road.  Access South Service Road by turning right,
instead of left, off the main entrance road.  Follow signs to the observation
area.

If you try for these birds, be sure you scan the tops of all lightposts
throughout the entire airport.  That is where they have been seen most
frequently.

Stick to Corregidor Road and the South Observation area. There is no need to
pay for parking and you can stay warm in your car.

Not a bad diversion from final Christmas returns.  Yeah, I'm running a little
behind.

Judy Read
Homer