We've recently observed activities that indicate the birds may start to breed well before they otherwise would. This of course includes the earlier migrating and the singing that many of us have reported. Yesterday I observed a male cardinal chasing a female about. She would have nothing of it, "telling" him, "for heavens sake nows not the time!" Just today a pair of house finches sat next to each other gently doing bill pecking! Also, a male red-bellied has begun his territorial rapping on our eaves trough.

*Question* - Given the unusually mild winter we've had, can the birds be deceived into believing the mild conditions will continue, so they can take a chance and begin breeding?? I for one feel that would not be a good idea, as the weather usually finds a way to average things out!

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes