Hi everyone,
This evening starting at about 7:20pm I explored the pond near the intersection
of Snyder and Mohawk Roads before listening for Woodcocks. On the pond I saw 50
RING-NECKED DUCKS, 3 HOODED MERGANSERS, 1 GREAT-BLUE HERON, 2 WOOD DUCKS, and
several Mallards and Canada Geese. I also found a fresh dead ERMINE in the
field, still in white fur. There also was a pair of EASTERN BLUEBIRDS in
another nearby field. Around 7:45, 1 AMERICAN WOODCOCK began calling from the
brush, but after waiting 15 min he only took flight once.

I drove to another small field near the intersection of Cherry and Warren Roads
and got very close to another Woodcock calling and doing flight displays. I was
able to locate and watch the bird from about 20 ft away with a light. The bird
made no significant effort hide or escape. It walked around for a minute,
poking the grass with its bill, and then flew away.

Evan B