Meg and I took a trip up the east side of the lake to MNWR, Railroad Road, Martin;s Track then down the west side to Sheldrake for a good day of birding.

Nothing much going up to MNWR, but the main pool was resplendent with Green and Blue-wing Teal, Pie-billed Grebes, Gadwall, Northern Pintail and American Widgeon. We also had very nice views of a Greater and Lesser Yellow legs. The Purple Martins by the visitor center were very active.

Going along the loop provided more Pied-billed Grebes and Coots. Swamp and Savannah Sparrows were in abundance and one particular Swamp Sparrow was very co-operative in posing for a photo. A Northern Harrier gave us a farewell fly-by as we headed to Railroad Road. Along the way we were treated to two Bald Eagles circling lazily overhead.

There were a few ducks at the pond on Railroad Road, mostly Northern Shoveler, but the real treat for me was the dozen or so Wilson's Snipe I flushed as I walked around the pond.

Martin's Track provided more Pie-billed Grebes, a calling Moorhen and many Tree Swallows and Meg heard a Ruffed Grouse thumping in the nearby woods.

Along the road at Sheldrake we saw many Buffleheads, Common Mergansers and several Common Loons.

Total species seen ( or heard ) today, 43

Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Blue-winged Teal