On Apr 23, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Jay McGowan wrote:

Ann and Gary just found a MARBLED GODWIT at Montezuma that we are now looking
at. It is along the wildlife drive at the new shorebird flats just before the
turn for Benning (visible from the photo blind pulloff.)

Lucky for us Jay and Andrew VanNorstrand were close by when we texted initially
of a Hudsonian Godwit at the new shorebird flats in Montezuma.  Ann first
spotted what we determined was a Godwit, but not being a breeding/nonbreeding
male or juvenile I thought it might be a breeding female. It didn't seem quite
right, not as buffy colored as I would have thought, some barring on the
tertials, dark eyeline and white supercilium giving the face a contrasty look,
but Marbled seemed less likely. When Jay and Andrew pulled in they immediately
confirmed we were looking at a Marbled Godwit.

Only the second Marbled for me and a lifer for Jennifer Rothe, who we had
flagged down as she drove past on the wildlife drive. Jen is from Wisconsin and
was on her way to Saratoga. When we drove farther up to get photos the light
was much better and I could immediately see the overall buffy color, heavy
barring on scapulars and tertials extending onto the breast and sides, dark
legs, bicolored base of bill yellow to black at tip, the crown was darker and
finely streaked. The eyebrow is more white than ground color as Sibley's shows
though.

A beautiful bird and very close to the road about 3/4 of the way from photo
blind to corner. I hope it stays the night for others to see. Maybe Jay will
post some pictures. I digiscoped, but not having a hosting site yet I can't
post a link to them.

There really are many shorebirds, mostly Yellowlegs but Jay and Andrew saw
Dunlin too, in Northern Montezuma's corn stubble. They were hard to see until a
Peregrine Falcon over Carncross Rd. put them all in the air. Then we could see
many hundreds.  They will probably reconstitute there because everywhere else
is flooded.

Gary