From: bounce-38025639-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-38025639-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of bob mcguire
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:52 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] 2011 Muckrace

The 2011 Muckrace is now history, and I hope that a full report will
get posted to the List soon.

Ann Mitchell, Susan Danskin, Linda Orkin, Dave Nutter, Gary
Kohlenberg, and I took part as a recreational team, sponsored by the
Cayuga Bird Club. We found a total of 89 birds. Colleen Richards and
Susan Barr were another team sponsored by the club.

Some 170-odd birds were found by the collective groups. The winning
team had 120 birds. A Sedge Wren was reported (don't know where it was
found). Long-eared Owl was reported. Apparently no Virginia Rail or
Least Bittern. A Glossy Ibis was reported at Railroad Road, but I have
no information on how it was id'd (and was not a White-faced).

Overall, the shorebird numbers were extremely low, though a good
variety of them were found. Missing, I think, were Buff-breasted,
Western Sandpiper, American Golden Plover, Sanderling. The only decent
shorebird area we found was the Muckrace Flats, a small area right
along Savannah-Spring Lake Road. May's Point Pool still has
significant exposes mud, but not a lot of birds.

Bob McGuire