I was only out a little on both days, but here are a few weekend highlights:

On Saturday mid-day, there were a lot of birds evident off Stewart Park,
although I only had about 30 minutes to scan. Over 100 BUFFLEHEAD were in
scattered rafts very far out -- there may well have been other ducks among them
that I missed (no Long-tailed Ducks for me). A small pod of HORNED GREBES were
near the jetties and at least 5 breeding-plumaged COMMON LOONS were widely
scattered. Four AMERICAN WIGEON were very vocal near the shore. A tight flock
of 40+ TREE SWALLOWS zig-zagging over the inlet had at least 1 NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW among them.

On Sunday, I was surprised to see a dark-morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK flying north
over Hanshaw Rd. at Bluegrass Lane in the afternoon -- the bird was fairly high
and the wind was out of the south at that time, so this could have been a
migrant. There was also a male AMERICAN KESTREL in the fields and a CHIPPING
SPARROW among JUNCOs along the field edge. Excited by the reported fallout on
Dryden Lake, I did another afternoon scan of Cayuga Lake from East Shore Park,
and was disappointed to find a mostly empty lake. None of the rafts of ducks
from yesterday were evident and I only saw a single LOON. Two sleeping male
RUDDY DUCKS were the only apparent fallout candidates.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology