About 6:25am today I heard a LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH from the Giles Street bridge over Six-mile Creek (office bird!). It was downstream in the gorge. Twenty minutes later I re-crossed the bridge but did not hear the bird, nor again later in the day. Wonder why... Did it move on?  Was it just luck that I was in the part of the territory it happened to sing in?

On my walk home from work I heard the "pip" note of a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER alongside Six-mile Creek beside South Titus Avenue, and had a nice naked-eye look at a male a few feed away in a sapling.

I took a walk to the lake after work and saw briefly an OSPREY on the nest platform near at Treman State Marine Park At first it was atop the sticks. Next time I looked it was atop one of the diagonal perch posts. Next time I looked it was gone. I don't know if the presence of people with dogs had an effect. I was pretty distant and using a scope, but I'm more unusual, so for all I know I flushed it. Fifteen minutes later I thought I heard an Osprey but could not locate it. By the way, Suan asked about the sticks on the platform. I think the folks who put up the platform several years ago left a couple stick in it as a sort of suggestion, but I think no people have been up there since. Last spring, when there was so much flooding, there was an Osprey which I met a few times when I waded into Renwick Sanctuary. Maybe it was this bird which people said they saw bringing sticks to the platform. Maybe it never found a mate, or maybe it got spooked when the water went down and people and dogs started using the park again.

Along Cayuga Inlet just north of the mouth of Treman Marina I saw my first-of-year SPOTTED SANDPIPER, properly spotted and doing the appropriate calisthenics.

In the southwest part of the lake I saw what I took to be 2 male and one female LESSER SCAUP, 1 odd-looking female GREATER SCAUP, 1 male RING-NECKED DUCK, and some other more shimmery-distant Aythya. (Sorry, Stuart, I have no idea what you saw.) There were also two female BUFFLEHEADS, but it seemed like most of the migrant waterfowl had moved on. There is still a pair of AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS at Stewart Park. This morning I saw 4 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS on a log in the lake, but not this evening, when I saw a/the single immature in the marina. Yesterday morning at Stewart Park I saw 3 pairs of GREEN-WINGED TEAL, 2 male and 1 female NORTHERN SHOVELER, and 4 BONAPARTE'S GULLS before I went to Myers Point.

--Dave Nutter