Hello Cayugabirders!

I just updated the leaderboards for this year's Sapsucker Woods Big Birding
year, which runs from 10/01/10 to 9/30/11
(http://birds.cornell.edu/bigbirdingyear).  So far, a stunning 114 species have
been spotted by the highest non-Cornell Lab staff participant, and the
checklists competition and hours competition are currently led by the same
person.

You can check to see how you're doing at any time, and it's a perfect time to
jump in to the competition if you've been holding back (guidelines are online
at the above URL)!  The next few weeks will see our migrants start to fade into
the summer breeders, and you can pick up a LOT of species by lucking into the
diverse flocks of warblers that are still present in the 'Woods. I just spoke
with someone that had a 17 species warbler day yesterday, so there's still
time--plus, we'll get another shot at those migrants on their way back down
this Fall.

Your birding (and use of eBird) makes Sapsucker Woods one of the most entered
hotspots in the nation, and it gives us nearly unrivaled information about bird
populations inside the sanctuary--thanks for sharing your observations, and
good birding!

charles.

Charles Eldermire
Public Education Outreach Associate
Manager, Sapsucker Woods & Johnson Visitors' Center
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 254-1131