The local SFO group on Sunday had a great scope view of a/the Barred Owl as we looked east from the trail between the Wilson Trail and the trail intersection just west of the gate along Sapsucker Woods Rd. A sharp-eyed SFO student at the back of our group discovered it in a distant relatively small pine, halfway up, close to the trunk, and not obvious to the untrained naked eye. I don't think we bothered it because we stayed on the trail which was not close to the bird. The bird appeared to be dozing with eyes half shut and it did not move.
--Dave Nutter