Hi folks,

Sorry for the late posting. Just catching up on a busy weekend that
included some excellent birding. On Saturday, Alberto Lopez, Nancy Chen,
Hector Claudio-Hernandez (friend visiting from Puerto Rico) and I had a fun
morning checking out sites in Tompkins County. Highlights of the 113
species were 1 MOURNING WARBLER and many CANADA WARBLERS at Hammond Hill, 1
MERLIN, 2 SNOW GEESE in farm fields, a CLIFF SWALLOW at Dryden Lake,
lingering AMERICAN PIPIT and NORTHERN PINTAIL plus LEAST SANDPIPER at Myers
Point, and SOLITARY SANDPIPER and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Stewart Park.
Details below:

We started the morning at Goetchius Preserve around dawn (from Flatiron
Road), where it was raw and misty and the air was full of Swamp Sparrow
trills and spring peepers. We heard a grunting VIRGINIA RAIL over the din
of trills and peeps, Wood Ducks were flying about and we heard one Willow
Flycatcher calling from far out in the preserve. From there we moved to
Hammond Hill which was quietly birdy, despite the cold, fog and mist.
Highlights there were a number of CANADA WARBLERS, one singing MOURNING
WARBLER, a quite a few  BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS to go with singing PURPLE
FINCH, BROWN CREEPERS and GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, to name a few. All, of
course, had to be heard over the ceaseless din of singing Ovenbirds from
every direction.

>From there we passed singing BOBOLINKS and a perched MERLIN on Irish
Settlement Road to arrive at Dryden Lake, which had no water birds to speak
of but tons of swallows, including many Barn, and Tree, a few ROUGH-WINGED
SWALLOWS and BANK SWALLOWS, and at least one CLIFF SWALLOW. En route to
Myers, by way of Dunkin' , we were very surprised to find two SNOW GEESE in
a roadside farm field on Rt 38. The bird we studied closely was an immature
with a clear grin patch, light mottling on the back and behind the eye, and
size and shape right for Snow Geese. We paused just long enough to confirm
the ID on the one bird, which was within 50 yds of the road, and we moved
on quickly due to the traffic. It'd be nice if someone could confirm these
birds at a time when traffic is more leisurely and might permit longer
study.

At Myers Point, which was pleasantly birdy, Two CASPIAN TERNS were on the
spit and a COMMON TERN fought the winds offshore. A lingering AMERICAN
PIPIT graced the spit, and the creek was home to a GREATER YELLOWLEGS and
LEAST SANDPIPER as well as killdeer and the lingering NORTHERN PINTAIL.
Offshore was quiet except a few DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS and 3 COMMON
LOONS. Many swallows here too, mostly tree and barn but also BANK SWALLOW
and ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW.

Heading down the lake to Stewart Park, we found a LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL
(adult plumage, seen well in comparison to Ring-billed, Herring  and Great
black-backed Gulls on the jetty to the red lighthouse). No Bonaparte's
Gulls or diving ducks of any sort, but Alberto and Hector picked out PALM
WARBLERS and a SOLITARY SANDPIPER plus the woods held BLUE-GRAY
GNATCATCHER. Stops at Sapsucker Woods and Hawthorn Orchards did not add
anything new to the lists already sent out about those sites.

Ebird Checklists:
Goetchius: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10657470
Hammond HIll: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10657543
Dryden lake: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10657667