Hi Dave and All,
I should have said this in my original message about Renwick vs. Fuertes, and
that is that my message was not meant in any way to criticize you or anybody
else for using the name Renwick for the area in question. I apologize if my
message was taken as criticism of any sort--it was not intended in that way.
And, I also should have thanked you for getting out the word about the
Yellow-throated Warbler so quickly--it allowed me and several others to enjoy
this nice bird.

I also agree with your decision to use the term "Renwick" in your text message
to describe where the bird was originally found. This seems to be the term that
many (or most?) local birders currently use to describe this area, so using
this name was undoubtedly the most effective way to help people find the bird.
I have used the name Fuertes Sanctuary for many years (and raised this whole
issue prior to the publication of the new birdfinding guide), but from a
communication standpoint, there is not much point in using this name if it is
not recognized by other birders.

However, I am still puzzled as to why birders have not consistently used (let
alone embraced) the name Fuertes Bird Sanctuary over the years. After all, we
as a group seem quick to adopt new names (Fuller Wetlands), name changes (Park
Preserve), and cumbersome names (Lindsay-Parsons Biodiversity Preserve) that
lack a direct connection to our birding community. The name Fuertes Bird
Sanctuary has existed for over 80 years, and yet, it appears to have been used
sporadically at best. (It does appear in a few issues of The Kingbird from the
1950s...and the 1980s.) Perhaps this is due to confusion over what the name
refers to. But, the City of Ithaca unambiguously uses the name Fuertes Bird
Sanctuary for the wooded area south of Stewart Park, as does the Cayuga
Waterfront Trail. It would be particularly interesting to learn why the City
has applied this term to this specific area...

Matt Medler
Ithaca