This is seriously cool, everybody! I've always wanted to see a Brown Creeper nest, and today I found one. They nest behind loose bark on standing trees. With binoculars from the Woodleton Boardwalk you can see under the loose bark where they are building a nest, and watch the birds going in with bits of grapevine bark and the like.

PHOTO OP: I'm hoping that some of you photographers and videographers can document this.

To translate directions from my earlier text: Start on Sapsucker Woods Road at the small parking area by the gates where the trail crosses the road. Enter the east/Dryden side. Turn left/ northeast on the trail. Walk very quietly on the Woodleton Boardwalk and stop at the first place where it turns a bit. Look to your right (east). About twenty feet away is a dead tree with large alternating areas of loose bark and bare wood. About forty feet up, about a foot from the top of a large section of loose bark (but not the top of the tree), two Brown Creepers have been entering and building a nest. I watched multiple trips. I hope they are still nest-building when the folks with cameras show up.

--Dave Nutter