Early yesterday morning on Third Street Extension, the road between the wastewater treatment plant and the Cornell crew boathouse, I heard a song I didn't recognize, repeated several times. It was strong, staccato, even in pitch, and mostly even in volume. I thought it was a warbler. I transcribed it:

WHET WHET WHET WHET WHET WHET tu WHIT tyu

I didn't have time to pursue the bird, and later that morning I heard a Wilson's Warbler singing at Salt Point which had some similarities. This morning I got back to Third Street Extension, and yesterday's song was still being belted out. I tracked it down and was very surprised to find a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT making it. This song has none of the repeating phrase characteristics, of a typical Common Yellowthroat song. Again I'll ask if anyone else is familiar with such a vocalization from this species. It's not among the choices on BirdTunes. I've started plowing through the 245 examples in the Library of Natural Sounds, but that's going to take some time. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to listen to or record it, it's been around the third utility pole from the corner, on the west side (between the road and the NYSDOT facility) among the Cottonwoods, Willows, etc.