Hi all,

I spent several hours on the past 2 mornings video-recording the Red-tailed
Hawks nesting below the bridge below Fall Creek on Stewart Avenue. The
youngsters are getting really big now, and one at least was vigorously
exercising its wings this morning.  Interestingly, one of the adults continues
to bring sticks to the nest, and yesterday morning arrived with a leafy bough
as large as he/she was! My understanding of this behavior is that green leaves
are chosen for their insecticidal or anti-pathogenic properties, for nest
hygiene. When I looked at my video closely, I discovered that the green plant
was in fact hemlock.

Is there any other reason the hawk may be doing this?

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA