I saw something similar several years ago, probably about 7-8 miles north along
rt. 89. In this case, the red wing was on the back of the deer, rather than the
head.  I didn't watch it long enough to see what the bird was doing, but the
deer did not seem to be concerned.  -Marty Schlabach

From: bounce-61038553-3494...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-61038553-3494...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of B Mcaneny
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2012 8:58 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Deer/redwing

Curious activity this a.m. in our field on 89 near Boy Scout Camp, T-burg. A
deer was in field when I spotted it but it looked strange. Something on head,
antlers? No. Binox showed a Red Wing Black Bird on its head carefully picking
something off deer's head, like the oxpeckers we saw in Africa. The deer
totally accepted this activity and would move its head from side to side slowly
during the picking. This went on for 5 min or more in a very calm way. Has
anyone seen this behavior?

Shirley McAneny
Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail