I returned home this morning at 0930 to find 2 STRIPED SKUNKS foraging at
our open compost pile.  The local family is different in that the back and
sides are pure white and the tail 90% white, the rest deep black.  The
pattern of both skunks was the same.  One of them looked dirty, and it was
almost twice the size of the other, which was very clean-looking.  I
immediately thought "mother and half-grown baby".  Awww.  They were feeding
side-by-side when first seen, but soon the larger snapped at the smaller.  I
thought this odd, but ignored the implications.  The smaller hid in the tall
grass for several minutes until the larger waddled away, when it returned
and fed for some time.  I then got out my scope to get more detail on the
exact color patterns.  Viewed from the rear, I noted a fleshy protuberance.
Penis?; but it was not in quite the right place. A good view from the side,
however, showed a row of dangling nipples.  THIS was a mother, nursing young
somewhere nearby.  So what is the large skunk?  Males are solitary and are
not supposed to hang around nursing females.  Presumably another female,
maybe the female we saw last year here and now the grandmother of the hidden
nursing babes.  I did not check the larger one for nipples, but will do so
if opportunity presents itself.  Moral: things are not always what they
seem.

Steve Fast

Brooktondale