Susie & I spent about 2 hours this morning in Summerhill State Forest,
mainly along Salt Rd., looking for the reported pine siskins.  I looked, she
listened, but we found none.  But we did come across more interesting stuff.
A partial list follows

WHITE-THROATED SPARROW     3    All were singing.

MOURNING WARBLER                 2

HERMIT THRUSH                          2

PHOEBE                                      2

N. WATERTHRUSH                       1

RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH         4

TURKEY                                        3

WINTER WREN                             4

The latter species was our great find.  We heard 2 singing adults.  One was
far off, so we headed into the woods to check it out.  In a bit, we found a
brush pile, atop which was an adult giving what Sibley describes as the
"agitated" call.  He describes it as a "rapid series of extremely high
staccato notes".  I first heard this call along the trail to Wakely Mtn., in
the Adirondacks, 5 years ago, and questioned the "extremely high"
designation then in my notes.  Susie, hearing the call for the first time
today, agrees that it is not even "high".  Anyway, the bird was agitated
because of 2 young WINTER WRENS hopping around in the limbs.  Imagine a bird
about half the size of an adult; with the exception of hummingbirds, they
were the smallest birds we have ever seen.  I am loathe to use the term
"cute",  but they really were.

S. & S. Fast

Brooktondale