I stopped by Mud Lock this morning at 8:30 for a casual scan. Across the
channel was presumably one of the scaup that has been reported all summer,
hanging out interestingly with a cormorant. When I took a closer look, however,
I was perplexed. This "scaup" had femalish colors: brown head, yellow eyes,
brown/grey body with some hints of whitish/lighter-grey feathers showing under
the wings... but it lacked any white behind the bill, and its bill was not
light blue but dark/black. It looked a lot like a female goldeneye!

Does the description above match what others have observed, and is it just some
form of scaup plumage not shown in Sibley's? Unfortunately I did not take any
pictures.

Suan