Tried to send this last night. re-sending.

Hello all,

On Saturday I got out to some of my survey sites in the Pharsalia area.
Highlights were 2 SHARP-
SHINNED HAWKS, 1 juvy RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, 3 COMMON RAVENS, and 4 Type 3
RED CROSSBILLS
and one Type 1 RED CROSSBILL (the types were not associating with one
another). The crossbills were 3
miles from where I had 20 Type 1s and one Type 10 two weeks ago. There's an
unprecedented early and
very large west to east irruptive flight of Red Crossbills (a good amount
of the flight seems to be made
up of type 3....more recordings needed!) taking place right now. The upper
Great Lakes has been
experiencing large numbers, and some sightings have started to pop up in
the northeast as well.....Jay's
9 last Friday were likely Type 3. Hawk Ridge in Minnesota seems to be
breaking state records every
day.......After 603 on Thursday, another 2000 moves the past two days.

Small-billed Type 3 are squeaky sounding...and a bit weak sounding as well.

Here's a couple links to some Macaulay Library recordings of type
3.....poor recordings but diagnostic:

http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/139452/loxia-curvirostra-united-states-new-
york-matthew-young

Type 1 calls first, then type 3. Type 1 is sounds like a chewt-chewt, the
type 3 is squeaky and weak
comparatively speaking.

http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/161296/loxia-curvirostra-united-states-new-
york-matthew-young

A rough windy recording, but again, diagnostic.

cheers,
Matt