As we enter our 27th year of banding here we don't often get new species. Last
night
as we were opening nets for Northern Saw-whet Owls and waiting to initiate the
caller, we spotted something in one of the six nets. It sure looked like a
saw-whet
and when I reached into the bag I felt an incredibly soft ball of feathers. Much
softer than the soft and cuddly saw-whets.

That feeling slowly morphed into a little whiskered treat that grunted and
flared
its tail often. This was the first Whip-poor-will we have ever netted and
banded.
That includes 27 years here and many years before that in the greater
Chesapeake Bay
region where they are much more common. This one was an adult male. I had NEVER
thought I would be able to handle and band a Whip!

The rest of the evening was equally terrific with four young saw-whets checking
in for bracelets. Two males, one female and an unknown. These are the first
saw-whets we have ever banded in September.

Next, we paid for our jubilation as the first owl in the nets was the world's
most
feisty gray phase Eastern Screech Owl. This ball of fire reminded me several
times
of its talons and beak! Today I'm nursing my hands and Sue her ears!

That round we also had our first saw-whet. We work and band under red light to
save
the owl's vison and our own. We have a short video of the Whip in hand as it
grunts
away. Each time it vocalizes,it flares its tail. We'll share that once I figure
out
how; it's too large to send as an enclosure to email. We also have a few photos
of
the whip and , of course, the saw-whets available and posted on our listserv.

Be on the lookout/listenout. We did hear the grunting and some other call notes
that
we've never associated with Whips before but the bird did not sing the usual
whip-poor-will song.

John

John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists
Kestrel Haven Avian Migration Observatory
5373 Fitzgerald Road
Burdett,NY 14818-9626
 Website: http://www.empacc.net/~kestrelhaven/
"Conserve and Create Habitat"