The north end of Cass Park/lake shore/Hog Hole was hopping this morning! On the way in at 8 am I ran into Shai Mitra and his wife (I think) who were just leaving. They mentioned seeing a LINCOLN'S SPARROW, numerous Swamp Sparrows, and four NELSON'S SPARROWS. I was joined shortly thereafter by Stu Krasnoff. As we walked in along the western edge of the field, we came upon a feeding flock that contained, in addition to a couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers, at least one NASHVILLE and one MAGNOLIA WARBLER as well as a possible Bay- breasted Warbler. A Carolina Wren and Northern Flickers were calling in the background.

Dave Nutter arrived soon after that, and the three of us walked the field to the right of the trail, flushing at least four, possibly five NELSON'S SPARROWS, several Song and Swamp Sparrows, and Common Yellowthroats.

We then turned our attention to the jetty where the usual mix of gulls and cormorants were getting ready for the crew races (stretching, preening, testing their calls). Among them were two CASPIAN TERNS and a single COMMON TERN. The tern was molting, with the hint of a white forehead and emerging carpal bar.

After that we slogged through the grass at Hog Hole, flushing Song and Swamp Sparrows and one fresh-looking LINCOLN'S SPARROW. In the reeds along the channel to the west was a calling MARSH WREN, and in the water itself were numerous Mallards, 6 WOOD DUCKS, 3 GREEN-WING TEAL, a Common Merganser, a Coot, and a (the) COMMON GALLINULE.

Heading back south through the woods we encountered a small flock with chickadees, 2 Eastern Phoebes, several Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Nashville Warbler (possible the same one Stu and I had earlier in the same area), more Carolina Wrens, and a Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Finally, Dave and I walked east, past the marina and through the grove of tall trees along the inlet. We found another feeding flock containing: PHILADELPHIA VIREO, 2 RED-EYED VIREOS, 2 MAGNOLIA WARBLERS, a RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers, and (most surprising to me), a SWAINSON'S THRUSH.

Since I did not take notes and am writing this from memory, I hope that Stu and Dave will chime in with additions/corrections. It was certainly a great morning to be out!

Bob McGuire