Had the pleasure of leading the Broome County Naturalist's Club
Field trip to Cayuga Lake today. We started at Stewart Park
and saw mostly Canada Geese, Mallards, few Black Ducks, American
wigeon, Bufflehead, many hooded mergansers, some displaying,
1 Ring-Necked Duck, 2 green-winged teal, a few Scaup sp (probably
lesser), 1 ruddy duck, pied-billed grebe, distant Common Loon,
all  three common  gull species. There was also a wood duck and
three double-crested  cormorants on the red lighthouse jetty.
Nothing unusual but still nice to see our common birds out there.

Next stop was Myer's point. The highlight here was a flock
of BRANT heading south. Got great views of these guys.
Very cool. This, along with the many flocks seen after Sandy, makes
for the most I have ever seen of this species on Cayuga Lake in a
season.  Otherwise we had typical common birds from Myer's.

Next stop was Long Point State Park and the big story was the
wind. BRRRR. The best bird here was a very low flying
adult Bald Eagle. The eagle was only 5 to 10 feet above
the lake surface as it flew south. Never saw one flying so
persistently low. The bird was not chasing ducks or gulls.
It just flew low to south and out of sight. Otherwise, not much here.
Just a few Canada Geese, mallards, black ducks,
common loon etc.

Stopped at the Aurora Boathouse next. Again mainly common
species. Best birds here were 2 HORNED GREBES. We also
began to see many many SNOW GEESE to the distant north.

North Mill Pond had a nice variety of ducks that you can see
close up. Great for groups. We got excellent views of
many GADWALL, about a dozen REDHEAD, among other
common ducks, like Mallard and Bufflehead. Then before we
left here, it began.  Flock after flock after flock of SNOW GEESE
came from the east and were flying overhead toward Cayuga
Lake. We estimated about 5000! They were still moving overhead
when we left.

Quick stop at Harris Park and again we could see flock after flock
of SNOW GEESE this time heading south and lowering toward what
it looked like to be Lower Lake road on the west side of the lake.

After lunch, we went to lower lake road and hit the jackpot
of SNOW GEESE. There were many thousands. We saw
some blue form too. They also were continuing to stream
in from the west and the north by the hundreds. It was
very interesting to see an overhead flock descend from a
couple hundred feet up. They were doing acrobatic moves,
twisting and turning to lose height as they eventually made it
to the lake surface. A boat eventually scared up the masses
and it was a deafening roar as they took off.  It was a true
spectacle that never ceases to amaze me. We all enjoyed
this immensely.  Melissa Penta from our group took a few
photos and some videos. You can see them here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mydigitalmind/

Here is the one video of the huge takeoff...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mydigitalmind/8235338643/in/photostream/

I occasionally looked for Ross's Goose but kept

get distracted by the overall spectacle of the numbers.
We did not positively ID any of these but I am sure
there probably were some in there given the shear
numbers.

There also were other species of ducks mixed in,
including american wigeon, 1 ruddy duck, few
lesser scaup, bufflehead.  We also had a lone
american coot.

Sheldrake was very windy and we saw just a few
common loons there.

All in all, a nice day to be out by the lake despite
the wind. We totaled 42 species. Not bad
for not birding in the woods or fields.

Dave Nicosia