I spent a couple of hours walking along Salt Road late this morning. The entire area was about as quiet as I have ever seen (heard) it: only a few Chickadees, one Golden-crowned Kinglet, one distant calling Raven. The highlight of the morning, in fact the highlight of all of my recent walks there, was a single RED CROSSBILL which flew over just north of the junction of Salt & Hoag. It came in from the NE, calling continuously, circled overhead and flew back off to the NE. I went down Dresser Rd and in, on the left, as far as the beaver meadow but was unable to re-find it. (Matt Young: I did not get a recording, and am not yet good enough to ID it as to type.)

Bob McGuire