From this should we assume that there was a live Wood Duck in the count circle during count week or in the basin in 2012?
--Dave Nutter

On Jan 03, 2013, at 11:28 AM, "Kevin J. McGowan" <k...@cornell.edu> wrote:

That’s a Wood Duck.  Note the yellowish, webbed feet, the shiny patch on the top of the wing with a small white line on the feathers below it, the tuft of red and yellow near the rump, and, as Ryan pointed out, the intricately barred flank feather.  Nothing else has those.  Looks like it had bumble foot on its right foot, or is that some kind of object?

We did not have Wood Duck on the Ithaca Christmas Count on Tuesday!

Kevin

From: bounce-72554624-3493...@list.cornell.edu [mailto:bounce-72554624-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Tobias Dean
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:39 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Carcase identification-murder most foul

Yesterday I found this mostly consumed corpse in the ditch very close to our house on South Hill. I can guess at an identification but I am sure the group will know.  I saw crow or raven tracks around it in the snow but could it have been a car strike or a larger hawk?

         Also, would the Lab of O be interested in this if most of it is gone?

https://plus.google.com/photos/101389825425162872761/albums/5829231409341707361?authkey=COCAnMafkduk0AE

 thanks            Toby Dean