Thanks, Laura, that ABA discussion was very interesting. I found myself in Ryan
O'Donnell's camp; the reported lack of genetic differentiation between Common
and Hoary Redpolls just didn't seem to justify the suggestion that we ought to
practice Hoary Denial, and Andy Boyce's quick dismissal of the likely
explanation left me groping for about three imperfectly remembered sentences
from E. O. Wilson's popular writing. Happily, I didn't need to look them up, as
Ryan neatly framed that explanation in just three words: "incomplete lineage
sorting".

Redpolls at my feeders peaked near 300. I tried hard to call one or two of them
Hoary, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't make it stick. My failure had
little if anything to do with doubts about the legitimacy of the split, and I'm
not challenging anyone else's distinctions, but somehow I still feel better
after reading through that discussion!

-Geo Kloppel