I went to the Cornell compost this morning to see if I could find Anne Clark's
wing-tagged Herring Gull.  She found out that the bird she saw Sunday was a
12-year-old from Newfoundland.  In her photos the gull had more dark on its
bill than I expected, so I wanted to see if I could find it.

I couldn't stay long, but I did manage to find a wing-tagged Herring Gull in
among the 500-or-so Herring Gulls there.  But, it turns out that I had a
different Newfoundland gull, banded last year as an adult in Witless Bay,
Newfoundland.

The only other banded gull I've identified from Ithaca was banded as a chick in
the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence.  It's fun to know where our
winter visitors come from !

Kevin