Recently someone on the list mentioned that it was a "great year for Short-eared
Owls". I'd argue that it is one of the lightest in three decades and has been
getting lighter each year. It wasn't all that far back when we had an ongoing
Short-eared owl count in the region with fantatstic numbers each season. I
believe
Ned Brinkley was the last to coordinate that.

When we arrived here in 1986, winter was wonderful with lots of snow , so much
that
a X-country ski center was active in Podunk, Rough-legged Hawks, Short-eared
Owls
and Northern Harriers in abundance and visitors like Snowy Owl and even
Gyrfalcon
more frequent and widespread. As the years have passed so have the raptors. I'm
sure
there are many overlapping reasons but I believe the basic one is lack of prey
population due to massive changes in agricultural practices. When the farmer
leaves
nary a grain then we start losing from the bottom of the food chain thanks to
gleaning efficiency and "economy of mass" farming.

That was then and this is now a time when any concentration of these birds is
to be
quietly enjoyed and celebrated.

My two cents.
John