A few minutes ago, as we were having lunch, two gorgeous male Pileated
Woodpeckers flew down just outside our window, one low on the box-elder
the other low on a black locust nearby. I think they were sizing up each
other, in an annual Spring ritual in our yard. In my bird archives I see
that last year they appeared on Feb. 12, and in 2011 on March 20, when
they chased each other repeatedly all around our yard.
Earlier this morning we had a crowd of 20 Common Redpolls at the nyger
seed spilled on the ground.
Chickadees seem to be looking at the nest-boxes. Our two Red-breasted
Nuthatches are zipping in and out to the feeders all day. I have never
been able to decide whether the pair we have throughout every winter
stay and nest here or whether it is another pair that moves in later in
the spring and spends the summer here.

Nari Mistry,
Ellis Hollow Rd.

--