I made a brief stop at Dryden Lake this morning.  Lake still mostly ice
covered, with an open area (pond) at the north end.  A dozen HOODED
MERGANSERS, a pair of GADWALL,  some MALLARDS, BLACK DUCKS and CANADA GEESE
were there.  A male COMMON MERGANSER flew by, as did a KILLDEER and
KINGFISHER. I was just packing up, when the sound of SNOW GEESE arrested me.
A flock came in fairly low from the south with some barking, passed over the
pond, and seemed headed on north when there was a very loud disturbance.
The flock then wheeled and returned to the pond, landing on the ice.  I
could be wrong, but my guess is that the leader said (in goose), "Anybody
want to stop here?"  They did.  Once down, I noted the resemblance between
goose and human behavior at rest stops.

I counted 92 geese.  About a third went immediately to the ice edge and
began drinking.  A few lay down for a nap.  Then about half jumped in and
splashed about, bathing.  These eventually climbed out to preen, as many of
the non-bathing group had been doing.  Finally, almost all of them tucked
head under wing, and ,standing, prepared to nap.  As with humans, there were
a couple individuals who drank, washed, preened, barked, or wandered about
in contrast to what the large segments were engaged in at any time.

Also noted:  about 20 CANADAS were on the ice edge when the SNOWS landed.
There is apparently some antipathy between these 2 species, as the Canadas,
with vociferous insults, swam to the other side of the pond and continued
their complaints loudly, before gradually reducing them to grumblings.

Steve Fast

Brooktondale