I forgot to mention yesterday that Tilden and I also saw a CACKLING GOOSE in
one of the small flocks that flew out of Knox-Marsellus Marsh last night.

T and I have done some back-of-the-envelope calculations regarding the
blackbirds we saw from the Tschache Pool tower last night.  Our estimates of
total numbers have too much uncertainty to share with confidence, but here's
one result that I think is pretty robust.

* The biggest flock passed in a line for 120 seconds of spoken counting plus
10 minutes tracked on a wristwatch (I also forgot about the spoken count
when I posted yesterday), plus some time even before we started keeping
track.

* I estimate that this flock was flying about 10 m/sec (20 mph, rounded).

     -- 12+ minutes (i.e. 0.2 hours) x 20 mph = a flock at least FOUR MILES
long.

Mark Chao