Hi,

Here are a few more details on my hard-to-believe sighting of BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS
at Sapsucker Woods.

I noticed a flock of birds dropping into a bare treetop outside my office
window — raising my binoculars I saw that they were waxwings and counted 16.
Although they were facing away against the gray sky, what was most noticeable
was the bold white linear patch on every birds' wing. This was perplexing at
first, as the overall coloration of the birds did not strike me as odd, and
they all appeared the same size (so had to be Cedars. Right?). I struggled to
make out color on the under tail coverts and finally one bird turned and showed
its dark red under tail. At this point I knew they were BOHEMIANS (this all
took just a few seconds), so my next instinct was to get a photo, which would
mean using my iPhone through the binoculars. I reached down for the phone,
began to set it up to take the pictures, but when I glanced up the flock of
birds was gone. I did not see whether they flew away or dropped down, or what
direction they might have gone. They initial had come in from the south or
southeast, from over the building or from the parking lots.

I hope they stick around and someone can relocate them Sapsucker Woods
tomorrow. I have not noticed ANY fruits around except for some withered black
privets, but in the spring I have seen waxwings feeding on flower buds and
petals.  It is also interesting that Bohemians, even during flight years, tend
to show up very late in the winter (March, April), even though they really
don'e penetrate much to the south of us in these winters.

Good luck to all who search for these gorgeous birds!

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology