I happened to see a Pileated Woodpecker enter a neat round hole in a sycamore
this morning. I sat down and watched from a distance for five or ten minutes,
to see what might happen. The woodpecker remained inside the entire time, only
peeping out occasionally. Looks like a nest hole. Nice to catch one so early in
the season!

The Finger Lakes Trail passes directly under the tree, but of course
observation is much better from some distance off to the side. Since the tree
is in a campground in Lower Robert Treman Park, I might as well share
directions that will permit observation from a distance.

Park in the FLT / Lick Brook/ fishing access parking area on the east side of
rte 13 along the south bank of Enfield Creek. Follow the FLT west under the
highway. Fifty yards beyond, the trail reaches the campground lane. Walk west
on the lane about 100 yards, until you reach campsite #71. Make yourself
comfortable at the conveniently situated picnic table, and look south across
the lane into the open woods. At the back, you'll easily spot the sycamore,
which has an old fissure in its trunk, maybe 16' above the ground, and just a
short distance above the fissure, the woodpecker hole.

-Geo