As I walked home from work along Spencer Road around 5:30pm I heard a doubled, high, thin squeal. In either a reflection on my hearing or on my unfamiliarity with calls which I don't hear often, I wondered whether it was a Broad-winged Hawk or a partially-heard Rusty Blackbird. The sky view there was blocked by trees, and these woods were not swampy, but a steep hillside with a stream tumbling down in its own miniature gorge. I didn't find the source of the squeals then, but the next time I heard it my sky was more open, and I saw a Buteo circling over the Titus Flats neighborhood. Binoculars revealed the whitish underside of its body and wings with a narrow dark border, and a gray head/neck/throat. Its tail was too large, proportionately, for a Red-tail, and dark below, broken by two broad crisp white stripes. This was plenty to ID the BROAD-WINGED HAWK, but the finishing touch for me was when it set its wings for a long deliberate glide into the woods of South Hill, so the rear edge of its wings formed a straight line while the forward edge of each wing made a curve: a nice big capital B.
--Dave Nutter