From: bounce-83770344-5851...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-83770344-5851...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of nutter.d...@me.com
[nutter.d...@me.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:58 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] unusual chickadee nest

Many times when I've seen Black-capped Chickadees excavating or using cavities
in ridiculously narrow dead branches or stubs of trees I've worried about the
risk of it breaking off and wondered what the birds would do. A couple evenings
ago during a walk in the Mulholland Wildflower Preserve I learned about one
option. I saw a pair of chickadees approach a narrow high dead tree trunk, and
one of them entered what appeared to be an old hole with a ragged entrance, one
of three holes spaced along its length. The odd thing is that this tree trunk
was not connected to a tree. It had snapped off, turned upside-down, and been
caught in the top of another tree. When the ceiling becomes the floor, just do
a little redecorating.