At the Mullholland wildflower preserve, not far from the parking lot,
is a beautiful and photogenic cavity where on the morning April 22, I
saw the face of a pileated woodpecker inside the hole. I have not seen
any pileated activity at that hole since (on my 2-3 times a week
passing that spot), so either it was a one-time roost hole, or they're
incubating out of sight. The birds are certainly in the area yodeling
frequently, and last year's nest hole (which raised two boys) is very
close by.

Walk from the parking lot to the first sharp bend in the trail (take a
break to check out the red-tail nest on the left of the tallest
pines), continue around the trail for about 30 paces, you'll pass a
tree to your right with a girded cut across it, then another girded
tree to your left. Walk another 5 paces past this second girded tree,
turn left, look for a tall tree forked up high like a tuning fork.
About halfway up this tree is the nice big hole.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone sees any activity at this hole
(though I'll be away the latter half of this month, which is likely
the period when feeding would be visible).

Suan